Sunday, May 31, 2009

Blogging is easy, if you know where to go.

So I have been struggling with myself as to what my next blog post should be about. Sports has moved into a lull period for me. I don't want to write about my adventures in trying to find a job because to demolish electronically the last person to toy with my emotions when it comes to my job search would be bad karma. My birthday has come and gone, and it was really nice, I went and saw a movie with my roomies then we went out for brunch. Not a lot there. My family was embarrassingly generous when it came to my birthday, and while I thank them for that to write about it would be torture of the type even my self-hating side cannot get behind. So I find myself up really early in the morning, knowing that I should write about something, but not knowing exactly what. Thank God for Townhall.com. What better fuel for the fire than spending some time reading the words of Papa Bear Bill O'Reilly? It really got the juices flowing. So here goes, the top 5 most read articles on Townhall.com over the past 24 hours.

First: The Incredible Shrinking Clintons by Dick Morris and Eileen McGann

Dick Morris is the primary example of what is wrong in politics today. The man has no ideology of his own. He is the man who brought out the worst in Bill Clinton, the pandering weather vane who would point whichever way the polls blew. He has no center in himself, nothing he believes in above all else. From a Time piece from 1996 by Eric Pooley:

"Morris can get so immersed in the game that he barely recognizes his own bad behavior. In 1988 he almost went to work for the presidential campaign of Michael Dukakis, then ended up on George Bush's campaign. Bush commanders Roger Ailes and Lee Atwater, according to two sources close to Ailes, became convinced that Morris was leaking information about Bush's media strategy back to the Dukakis camp. "Roger didn't confront Dick," says a source. "Instead he used Dick to send disinformation to Dukakis." Years later, pushing for more business, Morris had lunch with Ailes. "We should work together; I know how to beat the Democrats," he told Ailes. "I don't want to work with you," Ailes replied. "You have no character." That afternoon a friend asked Morris how his lunch had gone. "It was good," Morris replied. "He told me I had no character. I really learned a lot."

Yep, that's Roger Ailes, the president of Fox News Channel, who now employs Mr. Morris that his primary raison d'etre is to attack the Clintons. Morris also worked for Trent Lott and Jesse Helms in the early Nineties. Karl Rove might be evil, but at least he is consistent. Morris believed in nothing but the poll and the blatant appeal to swing voters. Oh yeah. And hookers.

Second: The Birds, The Bees, and the Cell-Phones by Bill O'Reilly

This is a fairly harmless piece as far as Papa Bear goes. Of course its the Left's fault that kids with hyperactive hormones are using technology in new and different ways to be sexually active (Yawn..big surprise). It could not be the fact that teenagers are just horny little bastards and we as adult Americans are scared as fuck at what they will get themselves into because they are far better at using technology than we are? I know I am. The pathological need to procreate turns every kid alive into MacGyver, but thats not a Swiss Army Knife in his hand. O'Reilly is just scared, and when he gets scared he lashes out at the Left. Its like blaming the sky for being blue. This piece does contain one great line however that is too juicy to resist:

"Children should be taught that America has become the most powerful country in history by embracing a Judeo-Christian philosophy based upon good works, noble intentions and personal discipline."

Really Bill? Good works? Like giving money away? (Feel free to compare and contrast Howard Kurtz's approach to Papa Bear with my earlier link to his take-down of [at the time] Clinton flunky Morris.) Noble intentions? I am pretty sure they paved the road to hell. Personal discipline? Like this display? Great personal discipline Sir. Under similar circumstances I am sure a normal man without your massive reserves of personal discipline would have killed the director at "Inside Edition". Good on you for only screaming at him, I am sure it was his fault that the magic box that gave you words broke.

Third: Time for Nancy Pelosi to Resign by Floyd and Mary Beth Brown

Actually I kind of agree with the thrust of this article, if not for the reasons stated. I am a big fan of this joke. The Newt quote is classic however:

"
Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich described Pelosi's actions as "despicable" and "dishonest", calling for her to step aside from Congress. "I think she has lied to the House, and.I think this is a big deal. I don't think the Speaker of the House can lie to the country on national security matters."

Yes, any Speaker should wait to lie to the House and American people about National Security until after they are no longer the Speaker. From the Economist:

"No. As a British court noted, waterboarding is not torture."

Its not? Lets ask Christopher Hitchens. SERE school ain't nothing to fuck with.

"...the Clinton administration insisted on treating terrorists within a criminal-justice framework. The Obama team is even more pro-terrorist-rights and anti-national security than the Clinton team was."

Damn the Democrats for letting bedrock ideals of this country like "Due Process" get in the way of kicking A-rab ass. Roll the second part of the quote around in your mouth for a little bit. Even Obama's enemies will admit the man is smart and politically savvy. Does that sound like someone who would be pro-terrorist and anti-national security? It was a nice jab at his old rivals the Clintons however.

If Pelosi were to be censured by the House for lying she would be the first Speaker in the long history of the House to be so punished. Wait, what? You mean it has happened before?

Fourth: Burke and Obama by Thomas Sowell

Lets start with the intro.

"The other day I sought a respite from current events by re-reading some of the writings of 18th century British statesman Edmund Burke. But it was not nearly as big an escape as I had thought it would be. "

Ahem. Bullshit. I hate when a writer uses this kind of trope. Be honest. The other day I wanted to write a scary article comparing the more threatening thoughts of Edmund Burke to how President Obama is handling this financial crisis. I could not think of a convenient segue to connect the two, other than pretending I read the works of Edmund Burke for 'respite'.

Thomas Sowell is way smarter than me on just about any topic, so I will comment very little on this topic except for a few niggling questions From the article:

"When Burke wrote of his apprehension about "new power in new persons," I could not help think of the new powers that have been created by which a new President of the United States -- a man with zero experience in business -- can fire the head of General Motors and tell banks how to run their businesses."

Mr. Sowell is a respected economist who is a proponent of laissez-faire economics, and like I said far far smarter than I, so I will ask my next question in very small letters.

If laissez-faire economics works, how did a de-regulated banking industry run itself into the ground? And thus have to be told by the president how to run their business? Should we really be "hands off" with banking after greed baited them into making awful decisions for short term benefit? Shouldn't Government have to take the long view if Wall Street money managers cannot?, Or "hands off" with GM, allow it to go into bankruptcy and cost a whole assload of people their jobs?

And we're back. Later in the article:

"He said, 'the true danger is, when liberty is nibbled away, for expedients and by parts." He also said: "It is by lying dormant a long time, or being at first very rarely exercised, that arbitrary power steals upon a people.' "

This could be my own political leanings betraying me, but don't those two warnings seem like they apply more to the Patriot Act than they do Barack? One more quote from the article:

"He also said, 'of all things, we ought to be the most concerned who and what sort of men they are that hold the trust of everything that is dear to us.' "

This quote is comforting to me. I would rely on Barack Obama to hold the trust of everything dear to me far more than I would any other President of my lifetime. At least so far. I reserve the right to take this back if he turns out ot be a scumbag like the rest.

Fifth: Little Green Cars by Larry Kudlow

I am getting tired now so lets do this rapid fire style.

"With President Obama in the driver’s seat, we’re going to get little green two-door cars that most folks won’t want to buy. "

Most folks are retarded.

"When I sat down with former Vice President Dick Cheney for a CNBC interview this week, I asked him about all this. He wasn’t happy. Of course, many of these policies began during the Bush-Cheney administration, and Cheney didn’t deny it. But when I asked if he anticipated the current degree of government control, he gave me another honest answer, as is his custom: No."

His custom? No and No. My favorite is number 10. Really Dick? Still clinging onto WMD's? Even Karl Rove and W have moved on from that.

"Cheney was very critical of Obama’s big-government spending-and-borrowing policies, too"

Hypocrisy, thy name is Dick. Government spending gets no bigger than this. Maybe Obama would not have to borrow so much money IF YOU HADN'T LEFT THE COUNTRY IN SUCH SHITTY SHAPE ASSHOLE!

No comments:

Post a Comment